Garib Nagar Demolition: 16 Arrested After Stone-Pelting in Bandra, 7 Police Injured; 85% Work Completed on Day 3

Mumbai: Sixteen people have been arrested and a case registered against 100 to 150 unidentified persons after stone-pelting and clashes broke out during the ongoing anti-encroachment demolition drive at Garib Nagar near Bandra Terminus on Wednesday. Seven police personnel were injured in the violence. Mumbai Police said all arrested accused were to be produced before the Bandra Court after 2 pm on Thursday.
The unrest was triggered after authorities demolished an alleged illegal religious structure during the clearance operation being carried out by Western Railway. Police resorted to a lathi-charge to bring the situation under control.
Despite the violence, the demolition drive continued into its third day on Thursday. Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek told IANS that approximately 85% of the demolition work had been completed. “The demolition work has been going on continuously. By yesterday evening, around 60 per cent work was completed and now nearly 85 per cent demolition has been carried out,” he said.
Abhishek said the operation was being handled with care given its humanitarian dimensions. “The case is very sensitive. A human angle is involved. We are maintaining tolerance and ensuring nobody gets harmed. All safety protocols are being followed,” he said. Railway officials added that over 2,000 water bottles and packed food packets were distributed to people at the site during the operation.
Also Read: Mumbai Man Among 9 Held In ₹225 Crore Crypto Scam Linked To Terror Funding Investigation
The drive is part of Western Railway’s plan to clear land around Bandra Terminus for future infrastructure expansion. Officials have maintained that the structures demolished were illegal encroachments on railway land. Heavy police deployment remains in place as authorities work to complete the remaining clearance while preventing further unrest.



