
New Delhi : Economic circumstances, rather than caste, should be the key criterion for determining eligibility for government assistance, protesters at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar said on Friday. A large gathering of people from unreserved categories demonstrated against the caste-based reservation system, with many, mostly men, also voicing opposition to the University Grants Commission’s (UGC) equity regulations.
Raising slogans, placards and saffron flags, protesters argued that students should be provided with government assistance such as support for education, coaching and other needs, based on their economic status rather than caste. The protesters also opposed the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and demanded its repeal. They argued that the benefits did not always reach the most disadvantaged sections of society and should not be misused against individuals, urging the government to take necessary steps in this regard.
Some demonstrators questioned the continuation of reservation provisions decades after their introduction and called for a review of the policy in light of the present-day social and economic scenario. “The circumstances have changed considerably. There should be a wider discussion on whether the existing framework needs to be reviewed and how economic disadvantage can be addressed without discrimination,” a protester said.
The protest was organised under the campaign ‘Reservation Reform Andolan’ led by NEET aspirant Harsh Dubey. At the end of the day, Delhi Police detained several protesters, with visuals from the site flooding social media, especially Instagram. Police said no permit had been granted for any such demonstration, stir or procession at Jantar Mantar.
Read Also : Cops File FIR On Pellet Gun Victim’s Complaint After Rahul Gandhi’s Dharna



