
New Delhi : A Delhi court on Monday acquitted former Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh in the sexual harassment case filed by six women wrestlers, bringing an end to one of the most closely watched legal battles in Indian sport. The case, which triggered nationwide protests in 2023 and dominated headlines for more than three years, stemmed from allegations of sexual harassment made by six women wrestlers during Singh’s tenure as WFI chief.
Among them was Olympian Vinesh Phogat, who publicly disclosed earlier this year that she was one of the complainants after initially keeping her identity confidential in line with Supreme Court guidelines protecting survivors of sexual harassment. Singh, a former BJP MP, had consistently denied all allegations. Reacting to the verdict, he said the acquittal vindicated the stand he had maintained from the outset.
“I said on the very first day that if the allegations are true, I will hang myself. I am very happy that I have been acquitted today. It is good news for me and good news for my supporters,” Singh said. The allegations against Singh sparked unprecedented protests by some of India’s biggest wrestling stars, including Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik and Bajrang Punia, who staged a months-long sit-in at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar demanding his arrest and removal as WFI chief.
The agitation drew international attention after Delhi Police detained the wrestlers during their march towards the newly inaugurated Parliament building in May 2023. The athletes later threatened to immerse their medals in the Ganga before intervention by farmer leaders and discussions with the Centre led them to suspend the protest. Earlier that year, the Union Sports Ministry had constituted an Oversight Committee following meetings between the wrestlers and then Sports Minister Anurag Thakur.
A separate FIR under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act was also registered based on a complaint by a minor wrestler. Delhi Police filed its chargesheet in the adult wrestlers’ case in June 2023 while simultaneously submitting a closure report in the POCSO case. The trial commenced after the court took cognisance of the charges, and in May 2024, charges were framed against Singh and former WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar, both of whom pleaded not guilty.
Read Also : Relief For Minor As Delhi Police Drops FIR After PM Modi’s Forgiveness



