Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Tuesday (February 9) filed a Rs 500 crore defamation case against Congress leaders Gaurav Gogoi, Jitendra Singh, and Bhupesh Baghel over what he described as false and malicious allegations concerning his land holdings.
Sarma, in a post on X, stated that the legal action followed remarks made at a Congress press conference. “Today, I have filed a defamation case seeking Rs 500 crore in damages against Congress leaders Jitendra Singh, Bhupesh Baghel and Gaurav Gogoi for making false, malicious and defamatory allegations against me through a press conference,” he wrote.
The Chief Minister’s move comes after a press conference held by the state Congress on February 4, where the party’s state president, Gaurav Gogoi, alleged that a party investigation into the Chief Minister’s assets revealed that nearly 12,000 bighas of land across the state had been occupied by Sarma and his family.
Also Read: Babri Structure Would Not Be Rebuilt Even Till The Day Of Judgment Says Yogi Adityanath
The BJP leader asserted that the era of hit-and-run politics is over and challenged the Congress leaders to present their evidence in court. “The era of hit-and-run politics is over. If they have even an ounce of courage or evidence, let them prove every allegation before a court of law,” he said, adding, “I will not be intimidated by propaganda, coordinated slander, or political theatrics of so-called slaves of the Gandhi family.”
On February 8, the political confrontation intensified after the Chief Minister made public findings from a Special Investigation Team (SIT) report. CM Sarma levelled the serious allegation that Gaurav Gogoi had renounced his nine-year-old son’s Indian citizenship in favour of a British passport, further claiming that the child’s religious identity was changed from Hinduism to Christianity without the minor’s informed consent.
