India

NALSAR Students Question CJI Surya Kant’s Convocation Invite Over Protest Hearing

Hyderabad: A group of more than 450 graduating students at the National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR) has asked the university to reconsider its reported decision to invite Chief Justice of India Surya Kant as the chief guest for its 2026 convocation.

The students have raised concerns over the CJI’s recent conduct during a Supreme Court hearing involving alleged police action against protesters at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar. In a representation to the university administration, they said the choice of chief guest should be reconsidered and that the graduating batch should be consulted before any final decision.

The issue stems from a July 22 hearing before a Supreme Court bench headed by CJI Surya Kant. The court was hearing a plea concerning alleged police excesses during a July 20 demonstration at Jantar Mantar. During the proceedings, the CJI was reported to have told the petitioner, “Don’t waste our time.” He also reportedly declined to watch video footage that was presented in support of the allegations, citing a lack of time.

The remarks have drawn criticism from the NALSAR students, who say the episode raises questions about how complaints involving citizens rights and peaceful protest are handled. They have argued that principles such as constitutional rights, access to justice and accountability are central to legal education and should also be reflected in the choice of a convocation speaker.

The students representation also reportedly referred to an earlier controversy involving a remark attributed to CJI Surya Kant about unemployed youth and “cockroaches”. That comment had earlier triggered criticism on social media and from sections of the public.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court has continued to deal with matters connected to protests at Jantar Mantar. On August 3, a bench headed by CJI Surya Kant agreed to hear a plea questioning whether Jantar Mantar should continue to be used as a venue for demonstrations. The court sought responses from the Centre and other authorities.

The court has also considered issues involving FIRs registered in connection with the protests. The proceedings have included discussion about cases involving serious criminal allegations, with the court making clear that such matters cannot simply be withdrawn on a blanket basis.

NALSAR has not publicly confirmed that CJI Surya Kant will attend the 2026 convocation. The university has also not announced a final decision on the students representation.

For now, the controversy remains a demand for reconsideration rather than a confirmed cancellation of the reported invitation. The university’s response is likely to determine whether the issue ends as a student representation or becomes a larger debate over who should represent the institution at its graduation ceremony.

ALSO READ: Victim of Gen Z’: Dharmendra Pradhan Breaks Silence on Resignation Over NEET Protests

Back to top button