
Ranchi: What began as a protest by a handful of government job aspirants has now snowballed into one of Jharkhand’s biggest youth movements in recent years. On Wednesday, the agitation took a more emotional turn when a woman aspirant, who says she has dedicated nearly eight years of her life to preparing for competitive examinations, sat on an indefinite hunger strike, accusing the recruitment system of repeatedly failing deserving candidates.
The woman, identified as Archana, joined the ongoing fast at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi, where students and job aspirants have been camping for days. Her participation has become a powerful symbol of the frustration felt by thousands of candidates who claim years of hard work have been overshadowed by allegations of paper leaks, rigging and irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).
Fighting back tears while addressing fellow aspirants, Archana said she had been preparing for government jobs since 2018 and had appeared in four major recruitment examinations. According to her, every examination eventually landed in controversy, leaving genuine candidates with nothing but disappointment.
“I studied day and night believing merit would decide my future. Instead, every examination brought fresh allegations of irregularities. How long are students expected to wait?” she asked during the protest.
Her decision to begin an indefinite hunger strike comes at a time when the movement is already gaining momentum. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who launched the fast earlier this week, continues to lead the agitation, while several other aspirants have also joined the protest. The crowd at the protest site has steadily grown over the past few days, with students, unemployed youth and civil society groups extending their support.

The protesters are demanding a high level and independent investigation into the alleged irregularities, with many insisting on a CBI probe. They have also called for the cancellation of the controversial 14th JPSC Civil Services examination, action against those found guilty if wrongdoing is established, and sweeping reforms to restore transparency and credibility in Jharkhand’s recruitment process.
For many aspirants gathered in Ranchi, the issue is no longer limited to one examination. They argue that repeated controversies involving both JPSC and JSSC have shattered the confidence of candidates who spend years preparing for government jobs, often sacrificing employment opportunities and financial stability in the hope of securing a fair selection through merit.
The movement has attracted attention well beyond Jharkhand. Education reform activist Sonam Wangchuk recently spoke with Devendra Nath Mahto over the phone and appealed to him to at least consume water while continuing his protest. Mahto accepted the advice, agreeing to drink water but making it clear that the hunger strike would continue until concrete action is taken.
Meanwhile, the Jharkhand government has maintained that it is taking the matter seriously. Chief Minister Hemant Soren has assured aspirants that the government will ensure justice after the ongoing investigation reaches its conclusion. However, protesters say assurances alone are no longer enough and that they want visible action rather than promises.
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID), which is probing the alleged recruitment irregularities, has intensified its investigation in recent weeks. Multiple arrests have been made during the probe, searches have been conducted at several locations across the state, and former JPSC chairman L. Khiangte has been questioned. Amid the growing controversy, the JPSC had also postponed the Combined Civil Services Main Examination that was scheduled for late July.

The issue has also sparked sharp political reactions. Opposition parties have stepped up pressure on the state government, demanding a CBI investigation and accusing the administration of failing to protect the interests of deserving candidates. At the same time, leaders from within the ruling alliance have acknowledged the concerns raised by aspirants and supported the demand for a transparent inquiry to restore public confidence in the recruitment process.
The protesters have announced that their agitation will continue until their demands are addressed. They have also planned a Tiranga March and warned of a larger mobilisation during the ongoing Assembly session if no concrete decision is taken.
For Archana and thousands like her, the protest is about much more than a government job. It is about years spent studying, families that invested their savings, careers put on hold and the belief that hard work would eventually be rewarded.
As more aspirants join the movement and public support continues to grow, the recruitment controversy has emerged as one of the most significant political and social issues in Jharkhand this year. Whether the ongoing investigation answers the questions raised by candidates remains to be seen, but for now, the voices outside Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium are only getting louder.
ALSO READ: On Sonam Wangchuk’s Appeal, Jharkhand Student Leader On Hunger Strike Agrees to Drink Water



