IndiaTop News

Chamoli Tunnel Collapse: 7 Dead, 14 Injured, 1 Worker Still Trapped

Seven workers have died and 14 others were injured after debris and water suddenly entered an under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti), Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district, on Thursday evening. One worker remains trapped inside the tunnel, while 21 of the 22 workers who were inside have now been accounted for.

The incident occurred around 6.45 pm, when a large volume of debris and water suddenly surged into the tunnel being constructed by HCC, trapping workers from the shift on duty.

Rescue operations were launched immediately, with teams from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), and other agencies deployed at the site. Rescue teams are continuing efforts to reach the worker still trapped inside, using machinery to clear debris and drain water from the tunnel.

Injured workers were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. Officials said those with serious injuries would be shifted to higher medical centres, while others are being treated at Gopeshwar.

CM Dhami Monitoring Rescue Operation

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami is personally monitoring the rescue operation. Earlier, he said several workers had been rescued and that all available resources were being deployed to evacuate those still trapped. He also said he had spoken to the Chief Ministers of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh regarding the incident.

Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar said the incident occurred at the under-construction tunnel of a THDC hydropower project and that rescue teams were working to evacuate the remaining workers. The administration has mobilised all available machinery and personnel at the site as the operation continues.

Rescue Operation Underway

A search and rescue operation was launched immediately after the incident. Rescue teams from the SDRF are using improvised drum boats to reach the trapped workers, who are stranded due to the debris and water that entered the tunnel. Rescue operations are continuing.

Earlier, District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar said that 16 workers had been rescued safely until 9 pm, while efforts continued to evacuate the remaining people trapped inside.

“This is a tunnel under construction for a hydropower project belonging to THDC. Around 6:30 or 6:45 pm, a large volume of debris and water surged into the tunnel. Workers from the shift on duty got trapped inside. NDRF and SDRF teams, along with all our machinery, are currently engaged in operations for the remaining individuals, and we are hopeful that we will be able to rescue everyone within the next few hours,” Kumar said.

Given the seriousness of the situation, teams from the Army, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), NDRF, and SDRF were rushed to the site. Rescue operations are currently being carried out by personnel from the District Incident Response Force (DIRF), local police, and the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).

Uttarakhand CM to Oversee Rescue Op on Ground

Following the incident, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami expressed concern and directed authorities to carry out rescue operations on a war footing. In a statement, he said NDRF and SDRF teams had been rushed to the site in view of the seriousness of the incident.

Dhami will conduct an on-site inspection of the relief and rescue operations at the disaster-affected tunnel area at 9 am on Friday, and will then meet the injured workers in Gopeshwar at 10:25 am. He has also instructed the district administration and all concerned departments to work in coordination to ensure a swift rescue operation.

Aslo Read:THDC Tunnel Collapse in Chamoli: 15 Feared Trapped, 10 Rescued So Far

Dhami said he was personally monitoring the situation and remained in constant touch with senior officials, receiving regular updates on the rescue efforts. “The government’s top priority is to ensure the safe evacuation of every person trapped inside the tunnel. All necessary resources have been deployed for the rescue operation,” the Chief Minister said.

He also directed officials to ensure there was no delay or lapse in the ongoing rescue work and asked the administration to extend all possible assistance to the affected workers and their families.

Authorities are yet to ascertain the cause of the collapse.

Back to top button