InternationalTop News

Trump Raises Global Tariffs To 15% After US Supreme Court Declares Previous Duties ‘Illegal’

President Donald Trump on Saturday announced an increase in the temporary tariff on US imports from all countries, raising the rate from 10% to 15%, just hours after the US Supreme Court ruled against his key tariff program that had relied on an economic emergency law.

Reacting strongly to the court’s decision, Trump had earlier ordered an immediate 10% tariff on all imports on Friday, adding to existing duties. Under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, the President has the authority to impose tariffs of up to 15% for a maximum period of 150 days. However, the move could still face further legal scrutiny.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said, “I, as President of the United States of America, will be effective immediately, raising the 10% Worldwide Tariff on Countries, many of which have been ‘ripping’ the US off for decades, without retribution (until I came along!), to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level.”

While announcing the revised tariff rate, Trump confirmed he would enforce the full 15% allowed under the law and stated that his administration would use the 150-day period to develop new tariffs that are “legally permissible.”

Section 122: Fast but temporary measure

Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 enables a president to impose tariffs of up to 15% for a maximum of 150 days to address what the law defines as large and serious US balance-of-payments deficits, a situation where imports significantly exceed exports.

Unlike other trade laws that require lengthy investigations before tariffs are introduced, Section 122 allows for rapid implementation. However, the authority is limited, as tariffs cannot exceed 15% or remain in place beyond 150 days unless Congress approves an extension.

US Supreme Court rules Trump tariffs ‘illegal’

On Friday, the US Supreme Court described President Donald Trump’s broad tariff measures as “illegal.”

In a 6-3 ruling, the court upheld a lower court’s decision, which found that Trump exceeded his authority by invoking the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to impose tariffs. The justices concluded that the law did not grant the President the power he claimed to use for the tariff action.

Trump cites alternative powers after court ruling

Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Trump argued that although the Supreme Court decision limited tariffs under the IEEPA, it did not restrict other executive authorities available to him.

“I can destroy the trade, I can destroy the country. I’m even allowed to impose a foreign country-destroying embargo. I can embargo. I can do anything I want, but I can’t charge $1 because that’s not what it says,” he said. “How ridiculous is that?”

Trump also referred to Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s dissenting opinion, which suggested the ruling might not significantly limit future presidential tariff powers.

“He’s right. In fact, I can charge much more than I was charging,” Trump said.

“We have alternatives, great alternatives,” he added. “Could be more money. We’ll take in more money, and we’ll be a lot stronger for it.”

Trump further stated that several Section 301 investigations into unfair trade practices are being initiated “to protect our country from unfair trading practices of other countries and companies.”

Back to top button