Inna Makan, the mother of 23-year-old Sahil Dhaneshra who died in a road accident in Dwarka earlier this month, has flatly refused to accept an apology offered by the father of the accused minor driver.
Dhaneshra was killed on February 4 after his motorcycle was struck by a speeding SUV in west Delhi’s Dwarka. The force of the head-on collision was fatal he died on the spot, and an autopsy confirmed he had suffered a fractured skull, multiple broken ribs, and an elbow fracture from the impact of the Scorpio SUV.
‘I Have No Mornings, No Evenings’
Speaking to NDTV, Makan made clear she had no intention of accepting the other family’s regret. “The father of the accused is sorry for what? For finishing my life? Sorry after I spoke on the media? I say sorry for not accepting his sorry,” she said.
Her anguish was raw and unfiltered. “If this happens to his child, will he accept a sorry? My world can’t come back with his sorry. What should I do? I have no mornings, no evenings, no reason to go to work, no reason to wake up. Do you think my life will ever come back to normal?” she was quoted as saying by NDTV.
Makan had earlier alleged that at the time of the accident, the accused minor and his sister — who was seated in the passenger seat were recording a reel. She has since urged parents across the country not to hand over vehicle keys to underage children who are not even legally eligible to apply for a driving licence.
“Let my son’s sacrifice be a lesson to everyone. Secure your children’s future. If people don’t learn their lesson now, more mothers will keep losing their children. When many mothers lose their children at once, maybe people will understand then,” she told NDTV.
Accused Minor’s Father Offers Apology, Addresses Challans
The father of the accused minor publicly acknowledged his son’s fault and expressed willingness to face the legal process. “This is my son’s mistake, and I apologise for it. I will follow whatever the legal process entails,” he said.
Also Read: New CCTV Shows Delhi Teen Speeding SUV Seconds Before Running Over Biker
He confirmed that the SUV involved in the collision belongs to his transport business. On reports that the vehicle had accumulated around 13 traffic challans nine of them for overspeeding alone he stated the violations were incurred by drivers employed in his business, not by him personally.
“This is a heartbreaking incident. He is very disturbed. There is deep grief in the entire family, for that family as well as for ourselves. We cooperated with the police. The police asked me for documents. We provided all the documents. No, I was unaware that my daughter was making a reel, and it wasn’t a reel, but a short video,” he said.
Lawyer Cites ‘Academic Stress’ for Accused Minor, Draws Criticism
The legal counsel for the accused minor drew sharp attention by appealing for public sympathy toward the teenager, citing academic pressure and emotional trauma. Defence lawyer Lal Singh Thakur told PTI that the minor is struggling to concentrate on his ongoing board examinations and has been receiving threatening calls in the wake of the fatal crash.
Thakur also argued that the minor’s decision to remain at the scene rather than flee should be viewed as commendable conduct given the circumstances.
“The incident that happened on February 3rd is very unfortunate and painful. I am also a parent. The entire family has been severely stressed and traumatised by this until today. Especially that child, who has to take his board exams today, he isn’t able to do so properly. And he is a child with a studious background, a gold medalist. But unfortunately, an accident has had a huge impact on his life,” Thakur was quoted as saying.
